Thursday, September 17, 2009

Confrontation

Confrontation

I have been teaching my class at Faith Baptist Church concerning the resistance Jesus found from believing people and non-believing people alike. An incident this summer illustrates the point. Our Teen Parents Program had a welcome tent to sign up teen moms and dads at a Christian festival in the heart of Schenectady. A bearded young man came up to our greeter and asked "Why do you waste time with unwed mothers? Don't you realize they are all going to hell as are their children to the third generation?" Our young volunteer turned to me and said, "Ray, you need to handle this." The young man and I talked heatedly for about ten minutes. He was desperately confused and his knowledge of scripture was poor and for the most part I just spoke scripture to him.

In that ten minute encounter I learned three things. The first thing I learned was that at age 61 I still have a temper. It was only the grace of God that kept me in those moments from becoming what I hated in that young man. Thank you for your prayers because I believe they were effective in touching my heart with the power of Jesus through the Holy Spirit in that moment. The second thing I learned was how much I loved the teen moms and dads that we work with. I didn't know where the conversation would go but I knew how much I wanted to protect our kids from this man's anger and hatred. As I turned around afterward and looked into the faces of the girls who were under the tent with Ruth and me I learned a third thing. For a brief moment, to these girls, I was a hero. Most of the kids we work with are very poor. They have little or no family support and have been involved in the godless systems of the world all their lives. They feel as if no one stands up for them. On that day I stood up for them and so did you with your prayers and gifts. Ruth and I are deeply appreciative of your partnership with us.

A Busy Summer

Along with our team mates we at YFC had unprecedented opportunity to present the Gospel to thousands of young people and adults this summer. The days were sometimes 12 to 14 hours long but the grace of God was evident. Even with a pinched sciatic nerve and excruciating pain I was able to see the goodness of God and receive his strength daily. Not only did we have Domonica and Zanaiya living with us for the summer but we had our 11 year old granddaughter Victoria and a 19 year old intern from the midwest. In mid August Domonica's 21 year old sister Saleema came to live with us. Saleema's transmission on her car had been ruined, she had lost her job and she was homeless. Many dear and well meaning people told us we were crazy to take in one more person. I told my class recently that the Democrat plan would be to let the government take care of her, the Republican would be to let a faith based organization take care of her for us God's plan was "You take care of her." It has been a great blessing and though we don't know how we will make ends meet, we are confident that in the process Saleema will grow to have a vital faith in Christ. She started school last week to get her LPN degree and she is working part time as a nurses assistant. We are holding on to the promise that God will supply all of our needs, Domonica's needs, Zanaiya's needs and Saleema's needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus. Please pray for us as we try to sell our house, believing that something smaller and less costly would be to the benefit of all of us. We would also like to move closer to the city where we work if God will allow it.

Thank you dear friends for letting me share my heart with you. We remain your partners in ministry. Ruth sends her greetings.

For Christ and the kids,


Ray

No comments: